24 June 2009

Dali-cious

The good thing about having a blog is that it makes one's life seem interesting. This is because it forces me to reflect on my day and makes me see things in a more positive way. 

Well, today, after work, I went to the Dali exhibition. I learnt a lot of things about Dali that I didn't know before (not that I knew much to begin with) - he wasn't just the guy that painted melting clocks. He dabbled in many different styles and mediums, including photography, film and even jewellery. His paintings had hidden meanings, not only in the abstract way but literally - if you can force yourself to change your viewpoint, you can see a different painting within the painting. And however surreal his later paintings were, many were still based on the foundations of mathematics and science. 

It's an exhibition I might be interested in going back to in a couple of months as it was very long - you need to be physically and mentally fit to stand around looking and appreciating for such a long time! We were there for maybe 2 hours and I didn't even see everything. Dali really is an interesting guy and I would like to get a deeper understanding of his work. 

Most of all, I would also go back for their extensive range of self adhesive moustaches. Moustache party, anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god, i'm planning on going to see Dali one weekend... and I guess you beat me to it! Hahaha. I've been trying to comment on your other blog the whole day.. but since work had some security blocking issues I couldnt.

    How was his photography stuff? Haha, i'll make sure to bring a fold out chair when I go. Seems like one's gotta gym up for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have to go. Even for someone like me, who doesn't know much about art, it's a really worthwhile exhibition. plus on wednesday night its cheaper for students!

    The photographs were just fun and you'll probably recognise a few of them. A lot of them explored the notion of capturing jumping on film, which i thought was especially relevant seeing as everyone loves taking those jumping photos nowadays.

    We can discuss further when you've been :)

    ReplyDelete