27 July 2009

Everyone's a critic

I've seen quite a few movies lately. Bruno, Transformers 2, Coco avant Chanel and Balibo.

Bruno and Transformers 2 I have to say were most effective ways of killing time but I want my 4 hours of my life back please. Although I guess I'll settle for just Bruno time back because I saw Transformers in Gold Class so the food and seats were worth it.

Coco avant Chanel was a really lovely film - understated and honest. And come on, it's Chanel and it's a french film - how can I not love it? Just look at the name of this blog. Hello!

Balibo affected me deeply. That's probably the first time I've felt so troubled by a film. It wasn't particularly gory or even that visually brutal compared to some Hollywood movies. But the fact that it happened. And similar things have happened, throughout history, in every country and it's happening right now to someone. This is something that we will never understand. We've never had to live in fear - fear for your life, your family's life. We've never had to fight for anything other than our own personal desires. For me, it's amazing what difference one or two generations can make. My grandparents, especially my grandfather, had to flee China for the safety of Taiwan. And even then, my parents decided it was better to bring me and my siblings to Australia. Our generation is so, so lucky, and we are spoilt by this. You can tell yourself to appreciate something, but you can't truly appreciate anything until you have no choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment